Home American Libraries | Canadian Libraries | Universal Library | Community Texts | Project Gutenberg | Biodiversity Heritage Library | Children's Library | Additional Collections

(4.3 M)EPUB

Guide for drawing the acanthus, and every description of ornamental foliage; (1886)

fullscreen
Author: Page, James, designer
Subject: Decoration and ornament -- Plant forms; Architecture -- Details
Publisher: London, B. Quaritch
Call number: nrlf_ucb:GLAD-117663460
Digitizing sponsor: MSN
Book contributor: University of California Libraries
Collection: cdl; americana

Average Rating: 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars

Reviewer: Rick Sarvas - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - April 21, 2008
Subject: Guide for drawing the acanthus, and every description of ornamental foliage;
This is a fantastic book for those wishing to create ornamental border elements like those seen on turn of the 20th century banknotes and stock certificates. If you have a (USA) $1 in your pocket, take it out. Look at the leafy border ornaments surrounding the numeral one in each of the corners on the front as well as both of the seals on the back. This is the type of illustration this book covers. Before I found this book, I would search for books that contained a number of these drawings to trace and use as clipart. Now I have something much better – a book that clearly explains how to design my own!
Reviewer: sleahcim - 5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars5.00 out of 5 stars - January 11, 2008
Subject: A wonderful work
Take a look at that title. It means every word. There are nearly two hundred woodcut illustrations and over fifty copper etchings within this wonderful book.

While today's graphic artists and illustrators are quick to reach for the clip art for decorative design elements, they would be well served to dive into this masterful work and learn the basics of how to create their on works of ornamental foliage.

You'll not find anything comparable in the books of today.

A great manual and resource for artists, illustrators, graphic designers, those working in architecture, woodcraft, furniture, masonry, sculpture or anyone who just loves ornamental design.

Contents:
History and Rules for Drawing the Acanthus Mollis, Perpendicularly
Rules and Practice for Drawing Curvilinear Foliage, as adapted to Running Scrolls and Corinthian Chapters
On Starting Points
On Grecian and Roman Ornament
On the Designing of Trophies
On Swords and Other Arms
On Egyptian Temples, Hieroglyphics, Sacred Animals and Columns, suitable for Egyptian Decorations
On French Ornament, with a variety of Rules for composing the same
On Frets and Guillochis
On Arabesque
On Elizabethian
On Gothic Details, as regards Curvilinear Portions and Periods
On Geometry
On Mouldings

Selected metadata

Copyright-evidence-operator: judyjordan
Copyright-region: US
Copyright-evidence: Evidence reported by judyjordan for item guidefordrawinga00pagerich on July 20, 2007: no visible notice of copyright; stated date is 1886.
Copyright-evidence-date: 20070720210701
Scanningcenter: rich
Mediatype: texts
Collection-library: nrlf_ucb